Sunday, 21 April 2013

Commuting to Work - Bavarian Style

not a bad ride, but a glorious commute
I've lived in Germany a few weeks now, and as well as already developing a taste for the local food (Weißbier & Wurst, what's not to like?!), I'm getting settled in and have been exploring the trails in my new back yard. Conveniently for me, the woods start less than 1km from my front door (that's half a mile in English), even closer than back in the UK, I've begun sniffing out some lovely stretches of singletrack and have even found an old quarry to play in, about 4miles from home, that the local riders have started to work on by the looks of things.

My commute to work is a pretty nice way to start the day too. However, this week, my working week starts with an early Monday morning meeting in Jenbach, Austria, meaning my normal commute around the green outskirts of Munich and up the banks of the River Isar can't happen. Faced with an early morning dash on the Autobahn (blurrgghhhh....) or a train journey on the lovely, but crowded, commuter train, I was left with only one option: Cycle to 100miles to the office.

Possibly the best commute to work ever? Commuting Bavarian style!
100miles, well, it's not that far is it? Not if there UK miles, but I set myself the task of whizzing through the Bavarian forests for the first half of my route, which was pretty speedy, but then I was left with 50miles over the Bavarian (German) and Tyrolian (Austrian) Alps. Gulp! These are not hills like the South Downs I lived on before that's for sure. 

The main difference, however, is that the scenery, and the riding, is simply stunning :-) I set off in the gloom of a damp April morning and whirled through the misty, spooky forests, enjoying the riding and the relatively easy miles, reaching the Alps in time for lunch on the banks of Tegernsee. The Alps spread out in front of me, barely visible through the clouds. I headed on and up, the climbing was steady but almost constant, the odd downhill promising only a steeper climb as a reward, but the surroundings just got better and better and the sun came out as I climbed. By the time I crested the last climb, and reached the banks of Achensee, the far end of which would be my final destination for Sunday night, the sun was out in force and I was in short sleeves, my jacket long since discarded. Glorious. Just a (400m of descending) roll dow the hill in the morning, ready for an early start.

My legs might not quite be used to my new back yard, the Alps certainly have plenty of hills that really mean it, but the process of acclimatisation is proving to be a whole lot of fun, even if it is a little sore! Bring on the next Monday morning meeting in Austria.
View from my final destination - I came from over the hills and far away, not too shabby a route......

6 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff Rob, If I have time (between traffic lists and pot holes) I'll think of you on my 4 mile Kentish commute tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian, I'm certainly feeling very lucky, not sure I felt quite so lucky half way up one of the steep climbs though! Enjoy your commute :-)

      Delete
  2. It must be really difficult to get any work done in such beautiful surroundings Rob ? I know I would struggle..lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is pretty, but it's not the worst problem in the world to have! ;-)

      Delete
  3. You should park your car and ride your bike at some point in your commute to enjoy the lovely surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er, yes, but this was a 100mile bike ride..... I don't even own a car!

      Delete