Thursday, 14 February 2013

All Change for 2013 - Ich werde in München wohnen!

After a 2012 full of very big rides indeed, 2013 sees me going down a very different road indeed. I will still be riding my bike a long way and a lot, I will still be riding Santa Cruz bikes, but ....... I will be doing it in Munich!

But why? Well, I have had an offer of an amazing job, but I do love my bikes and the opportunity to live a few km from riding in the Alps, as well as living in one of the nicest cities in Europe, was just too good to pass up. For those of you in any doubt, just look at this view of the city centre and its backdrop:
Munich and the Alps, not a bad back yard at all
Apart from my local trails taking quite a different shape, not much else has changed but, as well as the forests to the South of the city, which start less than a mile from our new house, there's hopefully a lot of opportunity for adventure in them there hills :-)

Sadly, this also sees me leaving my friends at The North Face, to whom I would like to say a huge thank you for being endlessly enthusiastic in their support.
TNF - Nice people & lovely gear
I was always proud to represent them
It's not all bad news however, not only will I be moving to Munich, but I will be back racing in Morvélo colours for 2013 and adventuring using Alpkit equipment. Hooray! I originally rode for Morvélo back ion 2009 and the guys have a love of all things two wheeled (even if they thought my big miles a little curious) and they just love to race! I used the Alpkit Stingray frame bag last year, and the quality of the construction and the love for adventure that runs right through the company has won me over completely.
Morvélo - Everybody knows looking good makes you faster.... I now have no excuses!
They say: "Go nice places, do nice things". I say: "Hell Yeah!"

6 comments:

  1. I'm not jealous in the slightest ! Good for you Rob hope all goes well i love Germany great standard of living, UK is in dark ages compared to Germany and iv'e always found they quite like their English cousins. Look forward to reading about your new trails. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David :-)

      I'll try to find time between my Bavarian adventures in the mountains and forests to add the occasional blog update!

      Delete
  2. Sorry it's been a while, but all the best with your new venture. I hope to see you this year at some events. Thanks for all the support and inspiration dude, Cheers ....... Joe www.w90joe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, looking forward to following your exploits once more this year. Keep up the good work and see you on the trails (and on a Santa Cruz 29er!) sooner rather than later hopefully! Keep them big wheels rollin'.

      My question of 2013: Can anyone think of a single reason I DON'T need a lovely yellow Tallboy LTc? It's got me stumped! ;-)

      Cheers

      Rob

      Delete
  3. Hi Rob,

    Great to hear you are settling into Ze German zway of life :-) !!

    I am looking to do a euro bike trip this year for some summer riding in the sun. Might pick your brains on local trails and options once you get to know those mountains and forests. We're thinking of Italy but Bavaria might be a good option too!!

    All the best and good luck....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Shaun,

      We've not explored the Bavarian Alps by bike yet, there's been too much snow! But we did have a holiday in the Italian side, in the Dolomites, a couple of years ago and it was great. To be honest, you can't go too far wrong wherever you go around here I've been told, and the exploring we've done in our first two weeks certainly seems to back that up. Rest assured I'll be doing a lot more homework in the next months :-)

      Delete